21 Apr 2013

New Walkers Baked Hoops And Crosses Review (Crisps)


I must admit I'm quite partial to this kind of puffed corn snack, it makes a change from regular crisps and they tend to be quite light and less greasy in texture. These new Baked Hoops and Crosses from Walkers come in three different flavours; Roast Beef, Salt & Vinegar and Prawn Cocktail. Each bag has 85 calories, making them a slightly healthier option compared to other crisps. They're also made from wholegrains, have no artificial colours or preservatives and all three flavours are suitable for vegetarians.


The snacks themselves have a fun shape, although I'm not sure why they are called Hoops and Crosses rather than "noughts and crosses". It might be because there is already a snack called Noughts & Crosses  aimed at young children and toddlers, from the Organix Goodies range. The texture of these new Hoops and Crosses is very similar to other puffed corn snacks, with their light crunch followed with a quick melt in the mouth feel.


The Salt & Vinegar flavour is very tangy, with quite a sour kick from the vinegar. This will probably be a bit much for younger children, but older kids and adults will appreciate the full flavour. It's also worth noting that there seemed to be a generous portion of snack in each bag. It wasn't the usual half empty bag that I've come to expect from this type of snack.


The Roast Beef were the favourite of almost everyone who tried these snacks. It's a delicious flavour that is very similar to the Roast Beef from Monster Munch. It's just a good old fashioned meaty taste with no messing about with any seasonings apart from salt!


The Prawn Cocktail was my personal favourite of the three (I was the exception to all the above Roast Beef lovers in my household!), as they just had that tangy and sweet combination that I love. All the crisps were full of seasoning, making the prawn cocktail flavour strong and delicious.

Overall I'm loving this new range from Walkers. I don't think anyone will actually play noughts and crosses with these, my children certainly weren't interested in that, but they did love the fun shapes and the flavours. It's also great to know that these snacks have more fibre and less fat than regular crisps.

Grocery Gems Verdict: Walkers Baked Hoops And Crosses

RATING: 8 out of 10.
Buy them again?: Yes.
Purchased: 99p Store (Multipacks of 6 bags).
Nutrition: (per 18g bag) 85 calories, 1.3g protein, 11.0g carb., 3.8g fat.

Vegetarian: Suitable for Vegetarians.


7 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of Prawn Cocktail too so I'd probably go for those first :) These sound like an interesting snack, and it'd be fun to try and play noughts and crosses with them. It did puzzle me why they called them "hoops and crosses" at first but now I know! You should be a snacks detective Katherine ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Kev! I can't really claim too much credit to being a snacks detective! It's just that I used to buy the Organix Noughts & Crosses quite a bit when my kids were younger. They're a cute snack for kids :)

      Delete
  2. Oooh I got the Roast Beef ones the other day and I love them! Always looking for a lower calorie crisp! Didn't realise there were other flavours though, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Roast Beef ones are so good! The others are definitely worth a try too. I agree, it's great to have more choice of lower calorie snacks, and these are really tasty :)

      Delete
  3. My friend has just given me a bag of these but there was no 'suitable for vegetarians' on the packaging (although maybe on the multipack bag). So thank you very much for letting us know that they are suitable. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you tried all the three. I got the roasted beef one and they tasted good. Sounds like an healthier option for crisps :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...